What is furosemide?

Furosemide (brand name: Lasix) is a diuretic or water pill that may be prescribed for people who have swelling and water retention. This is a condition called edema, which often occurs with heart failure or liver disease. Furosemide also treats high blood pressure.

Furosemide stimulates your body to produce more urine, which reduces the fluid in your system. By reducing the volume of fluid in the blood vessels, it helps reduce high blood pressure as well.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

What are the risks of misusing diuretics?
Diuretics should only be taken when prescribed by a doctor to you for a specific reason. Your body n...
What should I know about furosemide before taking it?
Furosemide (Lasix) is a powerful diuretic used to treat edema (fluid retention). It can cause your b...
What should I know about metolazone before taking it?
If you have impaired liver function, metolazone may cause hepatic coma. If you are allergic to sulf...
Are diuretic drugs safe?
Nicole BasileNicole Basile
With the proper dosing and oversight of a physician, diuretic medications can be used safely to trea...