How soon after taking mannitol will my symptoms improve?

When mannitol is administered to treat swelling in the eye, it is usually given about an hour to one-and-a-half hours before eye surgery. Your swelling should be reduced by the time surgery begins. If mannitol is being used to reduce swelling in and around the brain, you should see noticeable improvement within about 15 minutes. To remove kidney toxins and increase urine output, mannitol results in improvement before you receive more than 200 grams of the drug. If you're taking it for renal failure, you can expect to have symptom relief when you've taken enough mannitol to produce about 30 to 50 milliliters of urine an hour.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

What should I know before taking a thiazine diuretic for heart failure?
If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, a thiazide diuretic may not be a good option for you. If you ha...
What should I know about metolazone before taking it?
If you have impaired liver function, metolazone may cause hepatic coma. If you are allergic to sulf...
What should I know about furosemide before taking it?
Furosemide (Lasix) is a powerful diuretic used to treat edema (fluid retention). It can cause your b...
What is a diuretic?
Diuretics (a.k.a. water pills) help the body get rid of water by preventing your kidneys from holdin...