Who should not take hydrochlorothiazide capsule?

Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is not recommended for use by women who are breastfeeding, because it can pass from mother to baby through breast milk. This drug is assigned a pregnancy Category B by the FDA: Animal studies have not produced evidence of fetal harm, and there are no data from controlled human studies but retrospective reviews have shown an increased risk of malformations associated with thiazide diuretics. The drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.

If you are taking dofetilide, do not take HCTZ. Certain medical conditions could also prevent you from using hydrochlorothiazide safely. If you are allergic to sulfa medications, are diabetic or have difficulty urinating, you shouldn't use hydrochlorothiazide. Remember to tell your doctor about all of the medications you are taking for any type of health condition, including medications for allergies, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and kidney disorders.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

What are some examples of diuretics?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Some common diuretics include: amiloride (Midamor) bumetanide (Bumex) chlorothiazide (Diuril...
More Answers
What should I know before taking a thiazine diuretic for heart failure?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, a thiazide diuretic may not be a good option for you. If you ha...
More Answers
What conditions do diuretics treat?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
The most common conditions diuretics treat are high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. Les...
More Answers
Do loop diuretics have any side effects?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Side effects may include headaches, muscle cramps, weight loss, swallowing problems, nausea, vomitin...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.