How should I take spironolactone?

Spironolactone should be swallowed with a full glass of water. It should be taken with food to decrease stomach upset, and the medication is better absorbed by the body if taken with food. It can be taken once or twice a day. It is important not to take more or less of this medicine than you are prescribed, and to continue taking the medication based on your doctor's instructions. If you take a medical test during spironolactone treatment, you may get an odd result. Because of this, it is important to tell any doctor or surgeon you see that you are on spironolactone. Your doctor will need to test your blood in several follow up appointments to make sure spironolactone is working effectively and safely. Do not miss any check up appointments with your doctor or reschedule any that you have missed.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

What should I know before taking a thiazine diuretic for heart failure?
If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, a thiazide diuretic may not be a good option for you. If you ha...
What conditions do diuretics treat?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
The most common conditions diuretics treat are high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. Les...
What are loop diuretics for heart failure management?
Loop diuretics remove sodium and water from the body, acting on a part of the kidney called the Loop...
What should I know about furosemide before taking it?
Furosemide (Lasix) is a powerful diuretic used to treat edema (fluid retention). It can cause your b...