How can I minimize the side effects of Microzide?

To minimize side effects of the diuretic Microzide (hydrochlorothiazide), take it exactly as your doctor directs. Follow your doctor's dietary recommendations, as well. Microzide (prescribed to treat high blood pressure, as well as fluid retention) can deplete your body of potassium, an essential nutrient, so he or she may prescribe a low-sodium, high-potassium diet.

Because this diuretic, or water pill, will make you urinate more often, you should take it in the morning; if you take it twice a day, take your second dose in the late afternoon. That way, it's less likely that you'll wake in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

Let your doctor know if you have side effects that bother you or don't go away -- he or she may adjust your dose of Microzide or other medications. Call your doctor immediately if you experience vision problems or an elevated heart rate.