Does taking hydrochlorothiazide pose any risks to my health?

Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is prescribed to treat edema caused by congestive heart failure or kidney or liver disease. Older adults taking HCTZ do have an increased risk for other liver, kidney and heart problems. It's important to discuss medical history and current health with the doctor before taking HCTZ. The doctor may use urine or blood tests to monitor the effects of hydrochlorothiazide on the body and to prevent severe risks to overall health.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

What are the side effects of diuretics?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The following are some side effects of diuretics:Diuretics can cause extreme weight loss, light-head...
What are the side effects of metolazone?
Side effects may include abdominal bloating, heart palpitations, chest pain, and chills. Other side ...
What should I know before taking a thiazine diuretic for heart failure?
If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, a thiazide diuretic may not be a good option for you. If you ha...
What conditions do diuretics treat?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
The most common conditions diuretics treat are high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. Les...