What activities should I avoid while taking hydrochlorothiazide?

Avoid breastfeeding until you've talked to your doctor about the risks to your nursing infant associated with your taking hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ). It is also important to avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase the severity of side effects associated with HCTZ, including dizziness and blurred vision. Do not drive until you know how this diuretic will affect you. You may have to avoid certain activities that cause you to become overheated and thirsty so that you will not dehydrate. HCTZ can increase your sensitivity to the effects of the sun so use sunscreen and stay in the shade.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

What are the side effects of metolazone?
Side effects may include abdominal bloating, heart palpitations, chest pain, and chills. Other side ...
What is a diuretic?
Diuretics (a.k.a. water pills) help the body get rid of water by preventing your kidneys from holdin...
What should I know about metolazone before taking it?
If you have impaired liver function, metolazone may cause hepatic coma. If you are allergic to sulf...
What should I know about furosemide before taking it?
Furosemide (Lasix) is a powerful diuretic used to treat edema (fluid retention). It can cause your b...