What is discography?

Discography is a procedure used to diagnose whether your neck or back pain is caused by damaged disks in your spine. A doctor injects x-ray dye into several disks to see whether one or more disks are leaking and causing pain. As each disk is injected, you report to your doctor whether you feel pain and the type and severity of any pain. These descriptions help your doctor diagnose the source of pain.
Discography may be performed before spinal fusion to help identify the source of pain. Dye is injected into a disk; the amount of dye, pressure required, pain experienced, and an x-ray help determine whether the disk is responsible for lower back pain and other symptoms. Watch the video for more on discography.

Continue Learning about Discography

How should I manage pain after discography?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
For the first day or so after diskography, you may want to use ice on the injected area for 20 to 30...
When should I call my doctor after discography?
After diskography, contact your doctor if:   You see signs of infection at the injection site, ...
What is the reason for undergoing discography?
The vertebrae (bones) in your spine are separated by disks that cushion the vertebrae and allow them...
What happens after discography?
After diskography: You may stay in a recovery area and have your vital signs (heart rate, blood ...