What are the potential benefits of discography?

Dr. John C. Lipman, MD
Vascular & Interventional Radiologist

Based on physical exam and imaging, it is sometimes difficult to determine which spinal level is responsible for the patient's pain, and one which potentially could be corrected by surgery. Diskography attempts to answer this question.

Intermountain Registered Dietitians
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Diskography has several potential benefits:

• Can diagnose whether your pain is caused by material leaking from torn spinal disk(s)
  • Can result in a more precise plan for disk surgery or identify whether disk surgery is not required
  • Does not require a hospital stay

Continue Learning about Discography

How should I manage pain after discography?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
For the first day or so after diskography, you may want to use ice on the injected area for 20 to 30...
What is the reason for undergoing discography?
The vertebrae (bones) in your spine are separated by disks that cushion the vertebrae and allow them...
When should I call my doctor after discography?
After diskography, contact your doctor if:   You see signs of infection at the injection site, ...
What happens during discography?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The diskography procedure takes 30 to 60 minutes, and you will be awake and able to communicate ...