Who can qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?

To qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, you must first have worked in jobs covered by Social Security. You must also have a medical condition that meets the Social Security Administration's (SSA) definition of disability. In addition to meeting the definition of disability established by SSA, you must have worked long enough -- and recently enough -- under Social Security to qualify for disability benefits. Social Security work credits are based on your total yearly wages or self-employment income. You can earn up to four credits each year.

Continue Learning about Disability Insurance

Who is eligible for the Ticket to Work program?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
You become eligible to participate in the Ticket to Work program when you start receiving Social Sec...
How can I get Social Security benefits if I have cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
To qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, you must meet the Social Security Administration...
Can I get health insurance coverage if I am disabled?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
The following options may be available to you: Supplemental Security Income & Social Security Di...
Can I apply for a Compassionate Allowance from SSA if I have cancer?
In cases of advanced stage cancer, you may qualify for “Compassionate Allowance” from the Social Sec...