What is short-term disability insurance?

Short-term disability, often offered by employers, usually provides benefits and income to people who have become temporarily disabled by a broken hip, torn ACL, or a diagnosis of cancer (to name a few) for up to six months. And in some states, you may even get benefits for up to a year (the short-term part of the phrase refers to the fact that you are not going to get it for years and years, or as long as you had anticipated working).

Remember, it’s not health insurance; it doesn’t pay for medical bills.

Continue Learning about Disability Insurance

How can I apply for disability benefits if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
The U.S. Social Security Administration provides two benefits for the mentally ill: Supplemental...
What benefits are available through Social Security Disability Income?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) pays wage replacement benefits for eligible people who have...
Who can qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
To qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, you must first have worked in j...
Do I automatically get Social Security benefits if I have cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
If you have a cancer diagnosis, you may qualify for Social Security Disability benefits. The Social ...