What are some government disability benefits for bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Maybe you're unable to work because of your bipolar disorder and want to apply for disability benefits. The U.S. Social Security Administration provides two benefits for the mentally ill: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for people who are poor, disabled, and unable to work, and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for people who are poor, disabled, and unable to work but have worked in the past or whose parents worked and contributed into the system.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Disability Insurance

Who can qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
To qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, you must first have worked in j...
Are there tips on how to get approved for Social Security disability?
The best advice to get your Social Security disability approved is to have all your documents in ord...
Can I apply for a Compassionate Allowance from SSA if I have cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
In cases of advanced stage cancer, you may qualify for “Compassionate Allowance” from the Social Sec...
How can I find work through the Ticket to Work program?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you want to work through the Ticket to Work program, you can get the help you need from two types...