How do I apply for Social Security disability?

There are two ways to apply. The tech-savvy Bill Gates way: online at www.socialsecurity.gov. Or the classic way: call 1-800-772-1213 to set up an appointment at your local office or to apply over the phone. It’s that easy! If you can handle the tech-savvy way, it may save you some time since you won’t have to wait for an appointment and the phone or office sessions can take at least an hour once you’re actually called in (or up).

Continue Learning about Disability Insurance

Who can qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
To qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, you must first have worked in j...
What is the Ticket to Work program?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Social Security’s Ticket to Work program supports the career development of individuals with disabil...
Can I get health insurance coverage if I am disabled?
Many laws exist to regulate how insurance companies use information about a person"s disability to d...
Can I apply for a Compassionate Allowance from SSA if I have cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
In cases of advanced stage cancer, you may qualify for “Compassionate Allowance” from the Social Sec...