Will I become confused after my liver transplant?

Immediately after a liver transplant surgery some patients may become confused, agitated, and paranoid, with hallucinations and difficulty speaking. This is called delirium or acute brain dysfunction. Patients at risk to develop a delirium are patients who are older, have had a long history in the past of drinking or drug use, have had brain injuries, or had severe bouts of hepatic encephalopathy before transplant. Patients who suffer from depression, anxiety, or bipolar illness may also be at risk for delirium.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

A Tailored Diet Can Ease IBS Symptoms
A Tailored Diet Can Ease IBS Symptoms
Many celebrities suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and have shared their struggle with this often painful and embarrassing condition. They in...
What are the different types of gallbladder disease?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
The most common gallbladder disease is due to stones. Stones in the gallbladder can block it from em...
7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About
7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About
Annoying and embarrassing? Yep. Cause for concern? It depends. Find out when your diarrhea needs medical attention.
What Are Ways to Include Yogurt in My Diet?