Why is stomach acid important to my health?

Lionel M. Bissoon, MD
Sports Medicine
We are constantly bombarded with information about antacids for heartburn and indigestion, but in reality, the presence of stomach acid is very critical for the digestion and absorption of nutrition. Too much acid will destroy the food in the stomach along with all the nutrition. Conversely, too little acid will allow food to go undigested into the intestines.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
You may have heard that swallowed gum stays in your stomach for seven years. But is it true? Gum sales are about $25 billion globally, so some of thos...
How can herbs help improve my digestion?
Susan S. Blum, MDSusan S. Blum, MD
Many digestive symptoms are caused by an overgrowth of harmful bacteria or yeast in the gut; herbs c...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
Which Gut Type Are You?
Which Gut Type Are You?