Why should I look at my stool after I go to the bathroom?

Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterology
Taking a close look at your stool can tell you a lot about what's going on in your intestines and can lead you to make the right changes to improve your digestive and overall health. If you know what to look for, it's like reading tea leaves! I tell my patients that if they pay close attention to what's going on in the bowl, they might not need my services.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Hidden Dangers of Laxatives
Hidden Dangers of Laxatives
The FDA is warning saline laxatives containing sodium phosphate can kill you if you don’t follow label directions exactly. In fact, at least 13 people...
How does excess acidity cause digestion problems?
Mosaraf Ali, MDMosaraf Ali, MD
The digestive system is a fine balance of acid or alkaline media: the saliva in the mouth is alkal...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
Can This Little Boy Help Fix Your Gut?
Can This Little Boy Help Fix Your Gut?