Why is my stool brown?

Dr. Oz, Vice-Chair and Professor of Surgery at Columbia University, says "If you don't have any bile, your poop will turn white. What makes the poop brown is the bile. It's what allows your body to surround fats and absorb them healthily. It's like the soap of our intestines. It hatches to be green. So as it gets metabolized through the bowel, it turns brown."

What could be the cause of red poop? "If you've got red poop, a lot of times that's because you've had beets or red Jell-O," Dr. Oz says. "But red poop can also mean blood. It doesn't take a lot of blood to make it red but if you've got blood in your poop, you've got to get someone to look at you."

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Minimize In-flight Flatulence
Minimize In-flight Flatulence
Too close for comfort… Cheek to jowl…  Packed together like sardines. All of these phrases accurately describe the seating in the coach section of jus...
How are colon polyps removed?
NorthShore University HealthSystemNorthShore University HealthSystem
There are a lot of good techniques for removing polyps from the colon including injecting saline jus...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?