Why is it important to chew my food well?

Lionel M. Bissoon, MD
Sports Medicine
We live in a fast-paced society where even eating has to be done quickly. Take your time while eating and chew your food until it feels like a paste in your mouth, especially meat. Chewing helps mechanically break up food and stimulates saliva production for lubrication. Saliva contains digestive enzymes to predigest the food. Thus, once food arrives in the stomach, the digestive juices of the stomach facilitate the digestive process to enhance optimal absorption of nutrients.

Chewing your food well is important because it creates a mindful eating experience and keeps the morsels in your mouth long enough for the salivary digestive enzymes to begin working. Eating slowly and chewing well will allow the digestive system to work more efficiently and also make you feel fuller, faster. You will discover that you eat less when you chew more. In addition, chewing your food well forces you to take your time eating, which will likely make you aware of just how much you're eating and will also make meal times more enjoyable. 

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Hidden Dangers of Laxatives
Hidden Dangers of Laxatives
The FDA is warning saline laxatives containing sodium phosphate can kill you if you don’t follow label directions exactly. In fact, at least 13 people...
Do I need my gallbladder?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
You can live without your gallbladder. If you are having problems caused by your gallbladder, you wi...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
When Is It Time to Call the Pediatrician?