Why is it important to chew my food well?

Chewing your food well is important because it creates a mindful eating experience and keeps the morsels in your mouth long enough for the salivary digestive enzymes to begin working. Eating slowly and chewing well will allow the digestive system to work more efficiently and also make you feel fuller, faster. You will discover that you eat less when you chew more. In addition, chewing your food well forces you to take your time eating, which will likely make you aware of just how much you're eating and will also make meal times more enjoyable. 

Lionel M. Bissoon, MD
Sports Medicine
We live in a fast-paced society where even eating has to be done quickly. Take your time while eating and chew your food until it feels like a paste in your mouth, especially meat. Chewing helps mechanically break up food and stimulates saliva production for lubrication. Saliva contains digestive enzymes to predigest the food. Thus, once food arrives in the stomach, the digestive juices of the stomach facilitate the digestive process to enhance optimal absorption of nutrients.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

A Bread Spread That's Good for Your Stomach
When you have a craving for something creamy and hearty to spread on your crackers and breads, whip up a bean spread. Your tummy will thank you. Beca...
How do I know if I need my gallbladder removed (cholecystectomy)?
The main reason for gallbladder removal is symptomatic gallstones. Many people have gallstones witho...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
What Might Be Behind Your Bloat
What Might Be Behind Your Bloat