Why should I have help if I'm waiting for a liver transplant?

One of the main reasons for caregiver support before a liver transplant is to ensure that you do not get hurt, make poor decisions, or end up in the hospital in a coma. Due to the ammonia induced brain fog, you may not even notice that you have changed; you may forget to take your medications, have a poor diet, mismanage your finances, neglect personal care, and miss medical appointments. A most difficult task for liver patients is to accept help, especially when you have always been independent and in charge. However, in order to survive the waiting time, you must work with your care team. Remember, once you get a new liver you will regain your independence in a few months.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health