Why do I have an appendix if I can live without it?

The appendix is a small pouch located near the junction of the small and large intestine. It is not completely understood why we have an appendix or what function it may serve. One thought is that the appendix may have had a more important function at some point in human evolution and that it is now simply an evolutionary remnant. Another thought is that the appendix might play a part in building the immune system. We know that the appendix contains a lot of lymphatic tissue (tissue that aids the immune system by making antibodies) and this immune system tissue may play a role in our ability to fight infection. Much like the tonsils (which also contain a lot of lymphatic tissue), it is clear that you can live a healthy life without your appendix.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Eat This Type of Bread to Stay Regular
Eat This Type of Bread to Stay Regular
Feeling a little irregular? There's a certain type of bread that may help keep things moving along: rye. In a study, eating whole-grain rye bread eve...
Why do I burp all the time?
Belching and burping can be an embarrassing habit. Watch this video for Dr. Oz's response about ...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
What Are Some Effects of Bacteria Imbalance?