Why is a fatty liver dangerous to my health?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
Fatty liver is the most common cause of liver blood test abnormalities.
While excess alcohol intake can cause fatty liver, the most common cause by far is what is called non-alcoholic fatty liver disease or NAFLD. Most of the time, the fat does not damage the liver. However, in approximately ten percent of people with fatty liver, the fat becomes associated with inflammation. This is called non-alcoholic steato hepatitis (NASH). Steato means fat and hepatitis means inflammation. Some people with NASH develop cirrhosis, which occurs when liver tissue is replaced by scar tissue. Complications from cirrhosis can be fatal.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Is the Key to Better Health in Your Intestines?
The power of the gut biome to influence your health is as astounding as the 1969 Apollo 11 mission. This teeming world of an estimated 100 trillion mi...
What quality of life can I expect after a liver transplant?
Dr. Robert S. Brown, MDDr. Robert S. Brown, MD
With care and a lifetime of immunosupressants, liver transplant patients can lead a high quality lif...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
The Food Remedies for a Leaky Gut
The Food Remedies for a Leaky Gut