Why does my poop float?

Dr. William B. Salt, MD
Gastroenterologist

Poop (feces or stool) floats because of an increased content of gas or water (or both).

This question was addressed in a prestigious medical journal, the New England Journal of Medicine (May 4, 1972) by Dr. Michael Levitt from the University of Minnesota, who is an authority on intestinal "gas."

To float, stools must contain gas. Whether the stool is a "floater" or a "sinker" depends upon differences in gas rather than fat content. A high stool gas content (and hence a floating stool) is related to gas (methane) content.

Thus, stools float because of an increased content of gas or water (or both). There is nothing wrong with "floaters."

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Quick Kitchen Remedy for Indigestion
Quick Kitchen Remedy for Indigestion
Think you might overdo it this weekend and wake up with that dreaded burning sensation in your midsection? Luckily, your veggie bin holds an easy fix...
What should I do if there's bleeding after colon polyp removal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If there is bleeding after colon polyp removal, you should go to the emergency room. You'll know the...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
What Poop Colors Reveal About Your Health