Why do I have race day nausea?

A number of things could be contributing to your race day nausea. Weather conditions is one variable. It is not uncommon for athletes to develop gastrointestinal (GI) issues in the heat, especially when they are working at the upper end of their effort level. I recommend focusing on hydration pre-race and proper nutrition. Taking in too many carbohydrates may contribute to stomach upset as well. Work on modifying your nutrition plan in training so you are ready to roll on race day. Paying close attention to your food and drink will help on race day with nausea and performance. Anxiety can also cause GI distress. While race day jitters can help motivate an athlete, too many race day jitters can over stimulate a competitor resulting in nausea and belly aches

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

3 Surprising Causes Of Constipation
3 Surprising Causes Of Constipation
A Chinese man had an 11-pound bowel movement removed from his colon after having been constipated for a decade. While that’s about as extreme as it ge...
What post-meal ritual can help with my digestion?
John Douillard, DCJohn Douillard, DC
During and after a meal, it's important to relax -- and it's especially beneficial to lie or lean to...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
What Are the Health Benefits of Fermented Foods?