Why could my body reject a transplanted liver?

Your body will recognize your new liver as foreign and develop immune cells, called lymphocytes, to attack it. This is called rejection, and many recipients will experience some degree of rejection after transplantation. Rejection as a cause of graft loss is extremely uncommon; however, when it happens it is usually easily reversed with medications. The first rejection commonly occurs within three months after the operation. You are monitored closely during this time so the warning signs of rejection can be spotted early and steps taken to control it.

A biopsy of the liver is usually necessary to diagnose the extent of the rejection taking place, and to rule out any other problems. Biopsy results will help determine which anti-rejection therapy would be best for you.

Your body may reject a new liver if the immune system views the tissue as an intruder.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Stomach Bug or Food Poisoning? Here's How to Tell
Plagued with nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea? There could be several conditions causing your discomfort, such as a bug you caught from y...
How does liver transplantation treat biliary atresia?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Liver transplantation treats biliary atresia by providing a new liver for the affected person. The m...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
How Does the Bacteria in My Gut Affect My Health?