Why should I avoid milk if I have an upset stomach?

Patricia Raymond, MD
Gastroenterology
Doctors used to recommend a soft diet including milk products for ‘stomach distress’, folks with ulcers were told to drink large quantities of milk to coat the stomach and neutralize the acid. Then whoops, doctors discovered that the calcium in milk actually increases gastric acid secretion. And if you, like so many, have lactose intolerance, you’ve just made matters worse. Consider peppermint or ginger to soothe an unruly upper digestive system.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Your 8-Step Plan for Living With Diverticular Disease
Once you have been diagnosed with diverticular disease, the goal of your treatment will be to keep your symptoms in check and prevent complications. T...
Is follow-up therapy for a liver transplant difficult?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Follow-up therapy after a liver transplant isn’t difficult, but it does require compliance from the ...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
Tips to Prevent Painful Hemorrhoids
Tips to Prevent Painful Hemorrhoids