When is a liver transplant needed?

Cirrhosis, or scarring of the liver, is the most common reason for liver transplantation. Cirrhosis may result from alcohol abuse, hepatitis B or C infection, certain autoimmune diseases, fatty liver, or certain hereditary liver diseases. Other reasons for liver transplantation include sudden liver failure or liver cancer that has not spread outside the liver.

The most common reason for a child to need a liver transplant is biliary atresia, in which the bile ducts are missing, damaged, or blocked. Blocked bile ducts cause bile to back up in the liver, causing cirrhosis.

A liver transplant can make sense when cancer or cirrhosis with complications is the diagnosis. But when cirrhosis alone is the problem, such a drastic measure probably isn't needed, as transplant surgeon Dr. Tomoaki Kato explains in this video.

Patients with symptoms of end stage liver disease may need a liver transplant.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Taking Control of Your Hiccups
Taking Control of Your Hiccups
When Neko Case sings Honky Tonk Hiccups, you can feel her agony: “I started getting hiccups 'round suppertime. Held my breath 'til I hit the floor, bu...
Where do polyps occur?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Polyps can be many places in the body, but they're the most common in the colon and rectum. Gastric ...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Do I Know If I Have a Digestive Enzyme Deficiency?