When should I call my doctor if I have peptic ulcer disease?

If you have peptic ulcer disease, you should call your doctor for the following reasons.
  • You develop a sudden, sharp persistent pain in your stomach.
  • Your pain spreads throughout the abdomen.
  • Your abdomen feels hard, rigid and tender to the touch.
  • You feel full after eating a small amount of food.
  • Your appetite decreases and/or you lose weight without trying.
  • You feel weak.
  • You feel faint, dizzy or light-headed.
  • You are vomiting and you notice either blood or a coffee-ground appearance to your vomit.
  • Your stools look bloody or black.
  • You have a fever.
  • You have difficulty breathing.
These symptoms could be signs of a serious complication of peptic ulcer disease, possibly including a perforated stomach or intestinal wall, an internal broken blood vessel or an intestinal blockage.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Digestive Health

Digestive Health

The digestive system includes all parts of the body that process food and expel waste, from your mouth to the end of your digestive tract. Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract prevent your body from effectively using the food yo...

u eat. Learn more about digestive health from our experts.