When should I call the doctor about my child's vomiting?

If the vomit becomes projectile (shoots a few feet across the room), is forceful, happens more than a few times, or occurs after 2 or more feedings in a row, that’s a good reason to call the pediatrician. In addition, if the vomit contains any bright red blood or dark brown “coffee ground” material or you have any questions or concerns, call your pediatrician immediately or go to the emergency department.
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Call your child’s doctor right away if your child has one or more of the following:

• He does not smile or play for even a few minutes every 4 hours.
  • If your child has problems keeping any fluids down, or vomits more
          than 8 times in less than 8 hours.

- For babies less than 6 months old – if his vomiting is not better in 12
          hours.

- For babies over 6 months old and children – if his vomiting is not
          better in 24 hours.

• His vomit becomes green.
  • His vomit has blood in it or looks like “coffee grounds.”
  • You see signs of dehydration (drying out):

- No urine in six hours in a baby younger than 12 months old

- No urine in more than eight hours in a child older than 12 months
          old

- No tears when crying

- Sunken eyes

- Dry lips and mouth

• He seems to be breathing hard or fast even after the fever has been
          treated with medicine.
  • He becomes weak, sluggish or looks or acts sick.
  • Stomach pain continues between vomiting episodes.
  • Regular pain or crying reoccurs with or without vomiting.
  • Also call your child’s doctor if you have questions or concerns about
          how your child looks or feels.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Banish the Bloat
Banish the Bloat
You know it: The tight, full, uncomfortable feeling in your abdomen that begs you to loosen your belt a couple of notches or change into a comfy pair ...
What is the role of the gallbladder in digestion?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The gallbladder is a small sac located under the liver which stores and concentrates bile, which is ...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?