What is the connection between sickle cell disease and gallbladder disease?

Sickle cell disease is one of several genetic disorders that can increase your risk for gallbladder disease. People who have sickle cell disease are prone to developing gallstones, which may lead to blockages and other problems in the gallbladder. Many people who have sickle cell disease end up needing to have surgery to have their gallbladders removed.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Is the Key to Better Health in Your Intestines?
The power of the gut biome to influence your health is as astounding as the 1969 Apollo 11 mission. This teeming world of an estimated 100 trillion mi...
Can my gallbladder cause pain even if I don't have gallstones?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
Occasionally, people may have symptoms similar to biliary colic—pain 30 to 60 minutes after eating t...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Heartburn and Indigestion