What should I do while waiting for a liver transplant?

There are many things people can and should do while waiting for a liver transplant, including:
  • Continue to exercise regularly to promote endurance and speed up recovery after transplant.
  • Follow dietary guidelines.
  • Carry a cell phone when not at home. The transplant team needs to be able to contact people on the waiting list at any time.
  • Find ways to manage the stress of waiting and coping with chronic illness in order to maintain a positive outlook.
  • Notify the transplant program about any other surgery or hospitalization.
  • Set up a support group of family and friends to help post-surgery.
  • Pack bags and make arrangements for transportation to the hospital in advance.
  • Become familiar with post-transplant care.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Is Chocolate Good for Your Gut?
Is Chocolate Good for Your Gut?
Mayans concocted a bitter, frothy, hot brew from roasted cocoa bean paste, chili peppers and cornmeal. Later the Aztecs adopted the custom—but sipped ...
Will smoking exclude me from a liver transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Smoking won’t exclude patients from receiving a liver transplant, but it does increase a patient’s r...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
How Can Herbs Help Improve My Digestion?