What is a partial liver transplant?

In auxiliary partial orthotopic liver transplantation (APOLT), the surgeons resect part of the failing native liver and attach a partial donor liver to it. The donor liver supports the patient during recovery, clearing toxins and preventing brain injury. In the majority of patients, the native liver recovers with this support. Immunosuppressant medication can then be withdrawn, and the donor liver withers in most patients.

Although partial liver transplantation is particularly suited to children because the regenerative capacity of their livers is optimal, this technique may also be applied in young adults.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

3 Surprising Causes Of Constipation
3 Surprising Causes Of Constipation
A Chinese man had an 11-pound bowel movement removed from his colon after having been constipated for a decade. While that’s about as extreme as it ge...
How can I get my digestion back on track?
Bowel problems are not just uncomfortable -- they're extremely common, especially as people get ...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
The Surprising Food That Might Be Making You Bloated