What is necrotizing enterocolitis?

Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) is one of the most common gastrointestinal emergencies treated in the NICU. It’s an inflammatory bowel disease that affects premature infants but is also seen in full-term infants. With NEC, the lining of the intestinal wall dies and the tissue sloughs off. In serious cases, the bowel wall can perforate (rupture) and lead to abdominal swelling, abnormal stools, and increased apnea (when a baby stops breathing for short periods of time) and bradycardia (a slower-than-normal heart rate).

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Gas: What’s Normal and What Isn’t?
Gas: What’s Normal and What Isn’t?
Everyone burps and passes gas. Some do these things more often than others. It can be loud and sometimes smelly, but gas is a normal part of the diges...
What causes frequent burping?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Frequent burping may indicate that you are swallowing too much air, or it may indicate the presence ...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
What Should I Look for in a High-Quality Probiotic?