What medicines are available for treating nausea in children?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Many of the anti-nausea agents used in adults are also useful for children. Metoclopramide (Reglan), prochlorperazine (Compazine), and ondansetron (Zofran) are the most commonly used medications for nausea. They are generally very well tolerated. Since nausea is often a prominent component of migraine episodes in children, finding an effective anti-nausea agent is usually very important to the success of the headache treatment program. Again, orally dissolving ondansetron may be an especially attractive option because water is not required to take this medication.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...
Howard I. Baron, MD
Pediatric Gastroenterology
Medicines used to treat nausea in children are the same as those for adults, says Howard Baron, MD, a pediatric gastroenterologist at Sunrise Hospital, but in smaller doses. In this video, he describes which medications are used.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

How Weight Loss Helps Your Colon
How Weight Loss Helps Your Colon
Cutting a few pounds not only will help you toward your ideal weight but also may cut down on colon growths. People who are overweight tend to have a...
How do I know if I need my gallbladder removed (cholecystectomy)?
The main reason for gallbladder removal is symptomatic gallstones. Many people have gallstones witho...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
The Link Between Gut Bacteria and Weight