What medication will I need to take after a liver transplant?

Once a new liver is transplanted, a recipient will be given immunosuppressant drugs to prevent the body’s immune system from attacking the liver.

After your liver transplant, you will be required to take medications to help your new liver function smoothly. Your body's immune system will recognize your transplanted organ as a foreign object and attempt to protect you by rejecting it. To protect your new liver, doctors prescribe a variety of medications to suppress your body's natural immune response.

Standard treatment is Prograf or Neoral plus Cellcept or Myfortic and prednisone. Most patients are weaned to Prograf alone within 12 months. After transplantation, you will be taking immunosuppressant medications for the rest of your life.

These medications have side effects that can include high blood pressure, excessive hair growth or loss, hand tremors, mood swings, weight gain, bone loss, and diabetes.

Not everyone experiences the same effects and some are temporary; others will continue as long as you take the medicines. Doctors will monitor and alter your medication regimen to minimize side effects and reduce dosages as quickly as possible, ensuring your new liver functions at its best. Although the amount of immunosuppressive medications required will decrease over time, they will be necessary for the rest of your life.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

5 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat
By now, you’ve probably heard the hype (and the truth) surrounding the health benefits of eating less meat. It’s true that vegans, those who don’t eat...
What are some factors that can deplete my digestive enzyme levels?
Robynne K. Chutkan, MDRobynne K. Chutkan, MD
Factors that can deplete our digestive enzyme levels include age, the pH of our digestive tract ...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
Should I Avoid Foods That Contain Gluten If I Don't Have Celiac Disease?