What is the treatment for eosinophilic esophagitis (EE)?

Louise Goldberg

The only successful long-term treatment is a diet that eliminates the food allergens that trigger the immune response. If the patient is closely monitored by an allergist and dietitian, an elimination and challenge diet may be helpful in determining which foods or ingredients trigger the reaction. In many cases, it can be more effective to initially switch to a liquid elemental formula to allow the esophagus time to heal completely before introducing any food again.

Eosinophilic Esophagitis is an allergic condition which affects the esophagus. The goal of therapy is to reduce the inflammatory response in your esophagus.

A combined approach to treatment from your gastroenterologist, allergist, and dietician is often effective. Treatment typically includes diet modifications and oral medications such as, acid suppression and/or topical steroid preparations.

Gary W. Falk, MD
Gastroenterology
Eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) is a recently recognized disorder that is thought to stem from an allergic response to ingested foods. Treatment choices include 6 food elimination diet or topical steroids. Management is optimized by a collaborative team approach including gastroenterologists, allergists and dieticians.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

You've Been Pooping Wrong Your Whole Life
To squat or to sit—that is the question. Inventions like the Squatty Potty have sparked conversations about the right and wrong way to poop. Unnatura...
Is there a technical name for my grumbling stomach?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The name for noises made by your growling stomach is borboygmi. It comes from the Greek term borbory...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
What Are Some Factors That Can Deplete My Digestive Enzyme Levels?