What is the portal vein?

John A. Chabot
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

The portal vein refers to a large vein that drains blood from the digestive tract to the liver. The portal vein runs very close to the pancreas for much of its length.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

The Common Gut Condition That Could Cost You Your Colon
Feeling pain or a strange discomfort in your abdomen? Don’t worry; you're not alone. Every year, thousands of people are admitted to hospitals for abd...
What are some effects of bacteria imbalance?
Robynne K. Chutkan, MDRobynne K. Chutkan, MD
A bacterial imbalance in the body, or dysbiosis, can potentially cause a variety of diseases and unp...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
What Are Ways to Include Yogurt in My Diet?