What is the cecum?

Throughout your body, you have vascular systems that transport nutrients from food and deliver them to your body's major organs (which scientifically proves that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach). After the small intestine decides what to keep, it shuttles the waste along into the cecum-a reservoir at the beginning of the large intestines that holds fluid from the small bowel.

That watery remnant of your past meals goes from the cecum (which is where the appendix is, by the way) around into the cavity of the colon.

Picture of the appendix and cecum
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Tell Me Why… I Poop More During My Period
As if the cramps, bloating, mood swings, exhaustion and increased appetite during premenstrual syndrome (PMS) weren’t bad enough, your tummy may get o...
Why does my poop float?
Dr. William B. Salt, MDDr. William B. Salt, MD
Poop (feces or stool) floats because of an increased content of gas or water (or both). This questi...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
What Is the Role of the Gut in the Immune System?