What is the purpose of the gallbladder?

The gallbladder is a storage organ for a substance called bile. Bile is produced in the liver and then stored in the gallbladder. When we eat, the gallbladder empties bile into our intestine to help us break down and absorb the nutrients in our food.

The gallbladder is an organ in your body that stores bile produced by the liver.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Taking Control of Your Hiccups
Taking Control of Your Hiccups
When Neko Case sings Honky Tonk Hiccups, you can feel her agony: “I started getting hiccups 'round suppertime. Held my breath 'til I hit the floor, bu...
How long is the liver transplant waiting list?
Dr. Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDDr. Ajay K. Sahajpal, MD
Livers are allocated to patients based on MELD score (Model for Endstage Liver Disease). This is a m...
7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About
7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About7 Times Your Diarrhea Is Something to Worry About
Annoying and embarrassing? Yep. Cause for concern? It depends. Find out when your diarrhea needs medical attention.
5 Ways to Avoid Holiday Heartburn and Indigestion