What is primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC)?

Primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) is a disease that damages and blocks bile ducts inside and outside the liver. Bile is a liquid made in the liver. Bile ducts are tubes that carry bile out of the liver to the gall bladder and small intestine. In the intestine, bile helps break down fat in the food.

In PSC, inflammation of the bile ducts leads to scar formation and narrowing of the ducts over time. As scarring increases, the ducts become blocked. As a result, bile builds up in the liver and damages the liver cells. Eventually, scar tissue can spread throughout the liver, causing cirrhosis and liver failure.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Eat This Type of Bread to Stay Regular
Eat This Type of Bread to Stay Regular
Feeling a little irregular? There's a certain type of bread that may help keep things moving along: rye. In a study, eating whole-grain rye bread eve...
How does the bacteria in my gut affect my health?
Alejandro Junger, MDAlejandro Junger, MD
The good bacteria in your gut serve some important functions: pre-digesting food, detoxifying the bo...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
Is Poor Digestion a Common Complaint Among MS Patients?