What is the appendix?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The appendix is a small, finger-like pouch that sticks out from the cecum (the first part of the large intestine near the end of the small intestine) in the lower portion of the abdomen. A healthy appendix generally averages 10 cm in length.

The appendix is a small pouch that hangs from the large intestine on the lower right side of the body. Food passes by the appendix as it travels through the digestive system. No one knows what the appendix does, but what we do know is that the body works fine without it.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating. Bloating: it’s a not-so-fresh feeling in your gut that makes you wish you hadn’t eaten so much at lunch....
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles. Between 60 and 70 million Americans are afflicted by digestive diseases, while countless more deal with upset...
How Can Herbs Help Improve My Digestion?
Do Acid Reflux Medications Have Any Side Effects?