What increases my risk for peptic ulcers?

The main cause of a peptic ulcer is an infection with the Helicobacter pylori bacteria. However, not all people infected with the bacteria have any symptoms or ulcers. In fact, in the United States, an estimated 30% to 40% of the population has this bacterium.

At increased risk are people who take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These include some common pain relievers (like aspirin and ibuprofen). The risk of developing a peptic ulcer is higher in people who drink heavily or smoke.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Common Questions about Bloating and Gas
Common Questions about Bloating and Gas
I hear concerns about gas and bloating all the time from patients. What may freak you out is that the average adult produces about one to three pints ...
How do the intestines work?
Dr. Muslim Atiq, MDDr. Muslim Atiq, MD
Our intestinal tract works by absorbing our food and breaking it down into the nutrients we need and...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
What Poop Colors Reveal About Your Health