What is the function of the gastrointestinal tract?

Daniel Labow, MD
Surgical Oncology
The gastrointestinal (GI) tract is sometimes referred to as the digestive tract, or the alimentary canal. This is the system of organs in the human body that takes in food, digests it to extract energy and nutrients, and expels the remaining waste. The major functions of the GI tract are digestion and excretion.
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MD
Transplant Surgery
The gastrointestinal tract serves a function that is hard to replace.  It is responsible for digestion and absorption of food to generate calories that are essential for energy generation to sustain life.  It also plays a role in the elimination of some body wastes.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

You've Been Pooping Wrong Your Whole Life
To squat or to sit—that is the question. Inventions like the Squatty Potty have sparked conversations about the right and wrong way to poop. Unnatura...
How do the intestines work?
Dr. Muslim Atiq, MDDr. Muslim Atiq, MD
Our intestinal tract works by absorbing our food and breaking it down into the nutrients we need and...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
What Increases My Risk for Digestive Diseases?