What can my family expect while I'm having liver transplant surgery?

Once the decision is made to do a liver transplant, the recipient is prepared for surgery. Before surgery, family members are encouraged to wait with patients.

It is important that a member of the surgical team know where the recipient's family is waiting during surgery in order to provide them with updates throughout the surgery.

The average liver transplant procedure takes between four and six hours. When the surgery is complete, transplant recipients are taken to the surgical intensive care unit (ICU).

Continue Learning about Digestive Health