What can my family expect while I'm having liver transplant surgery?

Once the decision is made to do a liver transplant, the recipient is prepared for surgery. Before surgery, family members are encouraged to wait with patients.

It is important that a member of the surgical team know where the recipient's family is waiting during surgery in order to provide them with updates throughout the surgery.

The average liver transplant procedure takes between four and six hours. When the surgery is complete, transplant recipients are taken to the surgical intensive care unit (ICU).

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Six Foods Your Gut Bugs Love—and Four They Hate
Next time you open the fridge, remember that you’re not just eating for one. You’re also feeding the 100 trillion bacteria that call your digestive sy...
What happens during surgery to remove the gallbladder?
Dr. Aaron D. Carr, MDDr. Aaron D. Carr, MD
During gallbladder surgery, clips are placed on the gallbladder bile duct (cystic duct) and gallblad...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
What Are Some Effects of Bacteria Imbalance?