What should I do if there's bleeding after colon polyp removal?

If there is bleeding after colon polyp removal, you should go to the emergency room. You'll know there is bleeding after polyp removal because there will be blood in your stool and it won't be a couple of drops in the toilet or a little bit on the toilet tissue. It'll be visible blood, enough that you should pay attention to it and go to the emergency room. The reason for that is for you to be assessed, you need to be examined. Your blood needs to be checked. You may need a blood transfusion. You may need a procedure or an additional colonoscopy to stop the bleeding. This risk of bleeding after colon polyp removal is about 2 to 5 percent. If you're on blood thinners, that risk may be higher, especially with delayed bleeding. So, that's something that has to be considered. If you're on blood thinners, let your doctor know. You may have to manage that with your cardiologist or your internist or your other doctors.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

What Your Poo Says About You
What Your Poo Says About You
Bowel movements are not exactly dinner party conversation. You may even be too embarrassed to talk about them with your doctor. That’s a mistake, thou...
What should I do if my peptic ulcers are not healing?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Peptic ulcers are sometimes caused by Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection. Your doctor will li...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles.
How Can a Gluten-Free Diet Affect Weight?