What happens if the bacterial balance in the digestive tract is disrupted?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Probiotics -- good bacteria -- are meant to inhabit our entire digestive tract at approximately 80:20 ratio with bad bacteria. There will be and we should be okay with there always being some bad bacteria in the digestive tract. But if the balance is upset, we see an increased risk for digestive problems, impaired immune system, skin problems (resulting from digestive disturbances -- our skin is our other major excretory organ and remember stuff that's meant to get out of the body will find a way to get out!), and other potential health issues.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

6 Easy Things You Can Do for Better Digestion
6 Easy Things You Can Do for Better Digestion6 Easy Things You Can Do for Better Digestion6 Easy Things You Can Do for Better Digestion6 Easy Things You Can Do for Better Digestion
Keep your plumbing working smoothly with these tips. Most people don’t think much about their digestive system until it goes out of whack with symptom...
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion5 Foods for Healthy Digestion
Reach for these when your tummy rumbles. Between 60 and 70 million Americans are afflicted by digestive diseases, while countless more deal with upset...
What Should I Look for in a High-Quality Probiotic?
What Are the Benefits of Taking a Digestive Enzyme Supplement?