What should I do if my child feels nauseated after lower spine surgery?

Sedation may cause your child to feel nauseated, and he may vomit up to 24 hours after lower spine surgery. Sometimes car movement or pain medicine may cause nausea. You can help control nausea by encouraging your child to lie still and decrease movement. If he has trouble with nausea and vomiting, feed him clear liquids. Then slowly give him more normal foods till he's eating his usual diet. If your child vomits, give his stomach 30 to 60 minutes to settle down and then begin feeding him clear liquids. It is very important for your child to drink liquids after surgery to avoid dehydration, but it is fine if he does not eat solid foods for a day or two. If vomiting is persistent or continues for several hours, call your doctor for instructions.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health