What causes bleeding after colon polyp removal?

The reason there is bleeding after colon polyp removal is that when the polyp is resected, what's left is basically an ulcer. As that ulcer heals, a blood vessel can be exposed and bleed.

Bleeding can happen during and after colon polyp removal. Immediate bleeding is usually easy to deal with using a variety of tools. Delayed bleeding matters most. It means that polyp removal is done, and everything looks nice and dry and clean. Bleeding starts after the person goes home. That risk is highest in the first three days, but it persists for up to two weeks. That risk overall is probably about 2 to 5 percent.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

5 Ways to Have a Healthy Pancreas
5 Ways to Have a Healthy Pancreas
It's relatively rare but, unfortunately, often fatal. We're talking about pancreatic cancer. The good news? Scientists have pinpointed five key ways t...
How can I take care of myself while I have a feeding tube?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It’s important to take care of yourself while you have a feeding tube. Your teeth still need to be c...
When Bloating May Be Something Serious
When Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something SeriousWhen Bloating May Be Something Serious
Seven serious conditions that cause bloating.
What Are the Benefits of Taking a Digestive Enzyme Supplement?