What causes a rectocele?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

The most common cause for a rectocele is obstetric trauma. During a vaginal delivery, the connective tissue between the rectum and vagina can be torn, and then years after the vaginal delivery this weakness in connective tissue can form a hernia in which the rectum bulges into the vagina.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
You may have heard that swallowed gum stays in your stomach for seven years. But is it true? Gum sales are about $25 billion globally, so some of thos...
What is the prognosis for swallowing disorders (dysphagia)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The prognosis for dysphagia depends upon the type of swallowing problem and the course of the neurol...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, SolvedEmbarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Find out if your gas, grunts and growls are normal and what to do about them.
The Midnight Snack That Eases Digestion
The Midnight Snack That Eases Digestion