What are ulcers?

An ulcer is an open sore that occurs on the skin or mucous membranes of the body. Often when people talk about ulcers, they are referring to ulcers that occur in the stomach lining/mucosa (peptic ulcers), which may bein the stomach (and known asgastric ulcers) or in the duodenum, the upper portion of the small intestine (duodenal ulcers).

Symptoms of these types of ulcers may include:

• stomach pain
  • frequent belching
  • nausea and vomiting
  • loss of appetite
  • unexplained weight loss
  • bloody or black stools

Once thought to be caused by stress and/or eating spicy foods, today doctors know that 80 percent of gastric ulcers and 90 percent of duodenal ulcers are due to an infection with bacteria called Helicobacter pylori, or more commonly, simply H. pylori. Treatment for ulcers may include antibiotics to kill the H. pylori bacteria, medications to reduce stomach acid, and lifestyle changes to prevent worsening or aggravating ulcers and to promote healing. These lifestyle changes might include reducing or stopping consumption of caffeine and alcohol and stopping smoking.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Eat This Type of Bread to Stay Regular
Eat This Type of Bread to Stay Regular
Feeling a little irregular? There's a certain type of bread that may help keep things moving along: rye. In a study, eating whole-grain rye bread ever...
How does water aid the digestive system?
Of all the reasons H2O (preferably filtered) is good for you, the work it does for your guts is one ...
Why Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence Facts
Why Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence FactsWhy Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence FactsWhy Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence FactsWhy Farts Smell and 5 More Flatulence Facts
Find out why we fart, how often we fart and other stinky facts about passing gas.
How Does the Bacteria in My Gut Affect My Health?