What are the symptoms of a rectocele?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

The most common symptoms of a rectocele are pelvic pressure, pelvic pain, and something protruding or bulging into the vagina. Some women have a hard time emptying their bowels due to the fact that when they strain to have a bowel movement, instead of the stool going out through the anus, the stool bulges up into this rectocele pouch into the vagina. Some women have to put their fingers in the vagina to push down to have a bowel movement as well as some women have to push on their perineum or move in certain positions to help empty their bowels.

Rick Sayegh
Rick Sayegh on behalf of MDLIVE
Many women state that they are constipated; it is important to determine whether they are referring to excessive straining; hard, lumpy stools; splinting; feeling of incomplete emptying; or infrequent stools. Women with a large rectocele may trap stool within this rectal pocket, which may lead to a feeling of incomplete emptying, and possibly soiling.

Continue Learning about Digestive Health

Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
Worst Case Scenario: I Swallowed Gum
You may have heard that swallowed gum stays in your stomach for seven years. But is it true? Gum sales are about $25 billion globally, so some of thos...
What medication will I need to take after a liver transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Once a new liver is transplanted, a recipient will be given immunosuppressant drugs to prevent the b...
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health4 Ways Your Gut Affects Your Health
Your gut is responsible for more than digestion; it can reveal illness, too.
What Should I Look for in a High-Quality Probiotic?